A trip to the windy city: Prom takes on Chicago

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ria Talukder, Co Spotlight Editor

In the past, the student body has made a trip to the 20s, the Oscars, and even Atlantis for a night of dancing and good memories. This year, however, the journey will not stray far from home as juniors and seniors look only as far as the Windy City for this year’s Prom.

“We wanted to bring Prom close to home,” Elana Kraversky, president of junior class board, said. “Knowing our theme had to be classy and popular, our own city proved to be a perfect fit. We considered themes like A City at Night, Under the Sea, Mardi Gras, even outer space. Pride for our city and school is what unites all our students and junior class board agreed that Chicago was what we were looking for.”

The theme choice was only one of the responsibilities junior class board took on in the months prior in order to ensure they could plan the best Prom they could, according to Kraversky. Jobs included decorating, planning music, ticket sales, menu options, and party favors, all while trying to run things smoothly. To truly provide what was best for the dance, Kraversky said, they bounced many ideas off of one another and worked together to make sure they created a Prom completely for the student body.

“There are separate committees to plan a bunch of different things. Lots of people from all different committees chipped in to help sell tickets after school on April 26th for night time ticket sales and during their lunch periods last week,” Kraversky said. “It’s been a long ride. We offered a credit card sales online, which was [cool]. We [thought] many people would benefit from this option, but it was definitely work making sure it ran smoothly. ”

The hard work and dedication of the class board will all be worth it though, Kendall Kearnan, junior class board public relations officer, says. Both she and Kraversky cite many different touches that have been added this year to set the 2018 Prom apart from all the others.

“The table centerpieces are vases with a silhouette Chicago skyline around it, and we also have Chicago style popcorn for everyone as an extra treat,” Kearnan said. “It’s such a small detail, but it’s one of those little things that will really make everyone get the Chicago vibe that’s going to transport them out of Prom and into the beautiful city.”

According to Kearnan, she cannot wait to see how the dance plays out and hopes the student body enjoys it as much as she and Kraversky enjoyed planning it.

“The best part of Prom is spending an evening with all of your closest friends,” Kraversky said. “You get to sit back, relax, and enjoy a perfectly planned night. Especially for those who will have just finished AP tests, Prom will be a great night to unwind and celebrate before the school year comes to an end.”

Ria Talukder, Spotlight Co-Editor

The most important thing you need to know about Ria is that Shonali is her real name.  This will be her second year on staff as the co-editor of Bear...