Three’s not a crowd

Three sophomore triplets and the importance of a strong realationship

The+three+sisters+on+their+first+day+of+freshman+year.+Although+they+aren%E2%80%99t+as+close+as+they+used+to+be+they+still+find+an+importance+in+mantaing+a+bond%2C+says+Julia+Lane.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Three’s not a crowd

The three sisters on their first day of freshman year. Although they aren’t as close as they used to be they still find an importance in mantaing a bond, says Julia Lane.

Photo used with permission of Barb Lane

Photo used with permission of Barb Lane

Photo used with permission of Barb Lane

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

Sharing birthdays, classes, and even a closet with two others may sound like a punishment but sophomores Stephanie, Nicole, and Julia Lane are used to the concept.

The three sisters are triplets and have grown up knowing no different, and although the triplets seemingly share a life together, they still find themselves branching off into their own unique personalities.

“When I’m just observing them in everyday life, I find traits in each of them that are similar to me, but between each other I feel like they’re all very different. […] Nicole is very outgoing and enthusiastic, Stephanie is extremely smart and nice, and Julia is very bold and witty,’’  Megan Lane, older sister, said. “What they have in common though is how [they] love the togetherness of being triplets.”

Even though the triplets aren’t as close as they were when they were younger, they are still very tight, according to Nicole. This provides them with the ability to help each other out in different ways.

“I feel like if there’s something we ever forget to do, there’s always [one of us] to help the other,” said Julia. “If I’m sick [a sister] can bring homework home for me or if I’m sick [one] will teach me a dance [from theater]. We’ve just always been close.”   

As for sharing birthdays, Nichole says she has known no different her entire life and that the concept of not sharing a birthday, like they share almost everything else, is foreign.

“I feel if we were even given the option to have a party by ourselves I would still ask [my sisters] advice on what I should pick,” said Stephanie. “All of us are just so used to having to agree on everything it would be weird to suddenly switch to just me making all the decisions.”

Despite the apparent upsides of being a triplet, it has its downsides as well. Like when other assume aspects of the triplets looks and personalities that aren’t true, according to Stephanie.

“People just assume that we all look alike, despite the fact that we’re not

fraternal. So I’m kind of used to being called Julia, or Nichole being called me,” Stephanie said. She says that the confusion does not always happen but when it does, it’s frustrating. “We do have some similarities [but] I personally think that we all look pretty distinctly different. It can get annoying [sometimes] because you just want to be recognized as you.”

Even though being a triplet can sometimes be a nuisance, the sisters say the

positives outweigh the negatives by far.

“It’s just the idea that I have no idea what it’s like not being a triplet. I’ve never experienced that before,” Nichole Lane said. “It’s just such a big part of me, so I would never change being a triplet.”

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

As a sophomore, this is Ruby's first year as a staff writer. Ruby is involved with track and cross country but when shes not running you can find her watching...