Use your rights

Think of how often you hear people in the hallways complaining about various grievances. From the parking lot in the morning to practice schedules for sports, students are usually critical about what they do and do not like about LZHS.

Having unalienable rights is something we as Americans need to take advantage of. One of the ways students may do that is through their First Amendment rights of press and speech. Bear Facts prints every publishable letter to the editor we receive. Within these letters, students are free to express any thought or complaint concerning the school.

Many of you may be thinking that one voice may not make that much of a difference. But we must remember what we are taught: it is a chain reaction. We have the power to spark a change. If one person tells another about your letter, that person may tell another, and so on.

Of course, no success is guaranteed, but there will never be a success where there is no trial. Putting your opinion out for the school to read may seem intimidating or embarrassing, however, you will probably find that others share your opinion.

Our newspaper is not just read by students; it is read by administrators, the members of the Board of Education, and parents. In other words, the people with the power to make or change rules are reading the content within our paper. If you truly want the school to change something, writing a letter could make a difference. Everyone is granted precious rights in the First Amendment, but it is up to you to use them.