Curriculum changes should be commended

Over the last two years the Board of Education has approved a number of curriculum changes, which both added and modified classes. These changes are beneficial to students’ learning and the administration should be commended on their continued reevaluation of the school’s curriculum.

Last year, students had the opportunity to be involved in the four new AP classes (Psychology, Economics, World History, and Environmental Science), as well as the Advanced Robotics and Engineering class. This year, the Board approved even more classes to further enhance students’ learning experience.

“I think the AP Econ class was really beneficial for me because I have been considering majoring in economics when I go to college,” Heather Gornik, senior who took the class last year, said. “It gave me a chance to learn about economics in a style that mimics a college course, which makes me feel a lot more prepared for my education in the future.”

While many students are taking advantage of the new classes, the decision to change or modify curriculum is not taken lightly.

“We take a look at what we currently have, where we’re hearing student interest, student needs, and do what is called a gap analysis: what do we have, what are the standards, and is there a gap between what we have and what we need? And then if there is, we try to fill that gap,” Eric Hamilton, assistant principal of curriculum and instruction, said.

The administration’s continued improvement of the curriculum has given students an advantage both in high school and in the future.

The school has changed the math curriculum to fit students’ needs, as well as to better prepare them for college, an effort that should be applauded by students and parents. Having a college preparatory Calculus class next year will give students more options throughout high school.

For instance, many struggling students had to remain in the honors math track through all four years of high school because after college preparatory Advanced Math and Trigonometry, which will be renamed college preparatory Pre-Calculus next year, there were very few options for students to take.  The administration has solved this problem by giving students a college preparatory math curriculum that will carry them through high school, as well as prepare them for the rigors of college math courses.

Students should appreciate that the administration evaluates curriculum for not only core classes, but physical education as well. Next year students will have the opportunity to take three new physical education classes, Fitness for Life, Adventure Education 1, and Personal Fitness.

Aside from addition of new physical education classes, the administration and Board of Education have brought a new and ground-breaking class, Media Production, to LZHS, helping students prepare for careers in a world where being able to use technology is becoming increasingly important in the workplace.

“This is their chance at a hands on media production class, so unlike a criticism-based class, this is all hands on,” David Harmon, drama and English teacher who will be teaching the class, said.  “They’re going to be predominantly working on film media, but the majority of it is how to tell stories from a technical standpoint using film.”

The class hopes to attract many different types of students as it has elements that both technical theater students and English students will enjoy, Harmon said. The administration has helped students by continually attempting to diversify the curriculum.

Time after time we hear that high school is the place in which students should explore their options and try new things. With the addition of new classes, the administration allows students to have the capability to find what interests them and help prepare them for their futures after graduation.