Cursive Fundamental in student education

While there’s no doubt schools are diving head first into the technology age, there is no reason to stop teaching the basics of cursive writing in elementary schools.

Over the summer, the common core state standards, an organization which outlines what students are expected to learn, changed their regulations to where cursive writing is no longer required. The CCSS outlines standards for all states which choose to participate, but individual states are allowed to add their own standards as well.

Lisa Peterson, current second grade teacher at Spencer Loomis, has been teaching cursive since she’s worked in District 95.

“[The teachers] have been talking about getting rid of cursive for years because cursive might be outdated,” Peterson said. “Third, fourth, and fifth grade is when students learn it and there’s always been [the discussion of taking cursive out of the curriculum] because once students get to middle school they don’t use it.”

Illinois was one of the states which did not choose to add cursive back to the elementary school requirements, although District 95 does still teach cursive.

Cursive was originally taken out of the curriculum in exchange for more time with typing classes. While typing classes are an increasingly important, they shouldn’t be a substitution for cursive writing.

Cursive is fundamental for several aspects of life, especially for signatures. If students aren’t taught to write, then they won’t be able to sign contracts, endorse checks, and sign drivers license and credit cards.

Especially once credit cards are administered, then the upcoming generation will be unable to sign receipts.

Along with not being able to write cursive, if not taught, then students won’t be able to read when others write in cursive or be able to read historical documents.

“Students should at least be able to read cursive to read historical documents,” Peterson said. “They go to the library media center once a week for half an hour. In that time, they work on their keyboarding skills. It doesn’t take time away from learning cursive.”

Cursive also encourages fine motor skills. Studies show that cursive allows children to develop their fluid muscle movement, according to Marion Wilm, occupational therapist. Without cursive, students anticipating becoming surgeons, scientists, or technicians.

Learning cursive also improves print handwriting and reading skills since children can see how words connect together visually. Cursive also gives children self-esteem because they get the sense of wring like “grown-ups”.

Peterson has noticed how her students come back after learning cursive and actually feel more grown up now that they can read what their parents are writing.

Cursive is to engrained and important to society to be taken out. Typing classes should be added to curriculum without taking away from other writing aspects.