LZHS must condemn anti-gay bullying

The recent suicides of at least four gay teenagers opened eyes around the world to the epidemic that is anti-gay bullying.  Politicians are working to pass stricter laws against bullying, celebrities are reaching out to gay youth, yet LZHS is not doing nearly enough to condemn bullying based on sexual orientation.

Last month, people nationwide wore purple honoring the students who committed suicide after being bullied because of their sexual orientation.  Although Facebook events were created, no announcement about the event was ever made at our school. 

“We tried to make an announcement about [wearing purple], but it was too late,” Casey McCollough, junior and president of GSA, said.

Faculty members and students who do not use Facebook were not aware of the event.  If more people knew about the event, more people could have worn people, raising more awareness about the issue. Raising awareness and creating a more accepting environment is the job of Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) and the administration. 

Twenty eight percent of openly gay students drop out of school because of harassment, according to a survey conducted by the National Mental Health Association.  Schools are responsible for creating an environment where students will learn, not an environment where students drop out because of fear. 

“The administration needs to bring up LGBTQ (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning) issues in school.  They need to broaden our horizons and talk about gay political issues.  They teach us about the women’s rights movement, so why not talk about the gay rights movement?” Austyn Davis, senior and GSA member, said.

While GSA recently promoted Ally Week, a week dedicated to building and creating allies against anti-gay bullying and harassment, more needs to be done.  In order for students to become more accepting, GSA and the administration must work together to inform teens on the impact a seemingly small joke can have on someone’s life.

“You hear [students] use derogatory words such as ‘faggot,’ and teachers ignore them.  But when kids say racist words, they get punished,” Mitch Keppner, sophomore and GSA member, said.

Unless teachers and the administration teach students that certain words are just as offensive as derogatory, racial slurs, students will continue to use hurtful terms. 

“If people are hearing [these words] they need to report them to the deans,” Ryan Rubenstein, assistant principal of facilities and activities, said.

Although administration’s idea of reporting offensive words to the dean seems easy enough, it is ineffective.  Offensive words are used so frequently that in order to do administration’s plan, students would be at the deans every five minutes.

“I would work with GSA to try and come up with some ideas that would promote what they’re trying to promote and work with them,” Rubenstein said.

Before the anti-gay bullying epidemic becomes any worse, LZHS’s Gay Straight Alliance and administration must work together to ensure a healthy environment for LGBTQ students.

GSA wants to promote acceptance and the administration needs to offer their help.  While both say they would work together, someone needs to make the first move.