Students need to recognize the value of homework

Spending hours doing homework is not exactly appealing, but the reward is great. The effort required to complete homework does not always seem worth the few points rewarded, but in reality students need to realize homework is vital to learning and being successful in school.
  “It’s important to understand [the material], but after a while, homework just becomes busy work. It’s too much and teachers just give you stuff to do,” Maya Maric, sophomore, said.
 While Maric’s opinion might reflect the feelings of many teens, students need to do their homework in order to reinforce the skills taught in the classroom.  In order to gain in depth understanding of the subject matter, students need to practice the material on their own time.
 Opposed to the typical teenager belief, homework is not just about earning points.  Homework is given so students can practice and solve any problems or misunderstandings before quizzes or tests. 
 Many students would not do homework if points were not given. However, if no one did their homework, students would not understand concepts and be as prepared for exams.
 Students who expect points for their work consider it payment for their time.  Consider what would happen in the real world if people did not get paid.  If workers did not receive pay for picking up road kill, they probably would not do it just for fun.  However proponents of such arguments miss the point.  The true reward of doing homework is receiving the quality education that enables one to be successful in the real world.
 “Homework is a discipline. I think it’s important that kids understand that to get better at anything, you need to practice,” Bud Zasadil, math teacher, said.
 Maric agrees that homework is more about discipline and learning rather than points.
 “It would be nice to get more points, but it’s more about if you care about actually learning, it’s your own fault if you don’t do [homework] and get behind,” Maric said.
 Students may want more of a reward for doing their homework, but the true reward is grasping the concepts teachers want their students to learn. 
 “Homework is more to help you learn the material, it’s that growth along the way,” Laura Cohen, science teacher, said.
 As the saying goes, practice makes perfect.  Homework is meant to help students learn concepts and fix misunderstandings before tests.  Students need to realize that homework is a vital component of learning and doing in well in classes.