Middle school hosts annual science fair

The sixth annual District-wide science fair, sponsored by the Education Foundation, will be held on April 12 at Middle School South.

The science fair is for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. However, high schoolers can get involved either by judging science fair projects or helping someone with his or her project, though no one has helped a student recently, according to Brian Agustin, science department chair.

“I’ve had my students help kids with their projects in the past,” Donald Castans, science teacher, said. “I would grab students and have them help children doing their experiments, making sure they help [the children] get the intended result without taking control.”

Agustin stressed how the intention is to help students get results without taking autonomy and enjoyment away from the student.

The event is open to homeschooled students, and students from diminutive schools in the area, along with students from Lake Zurich’s main elementary and middle schools. In the past, the event has had 50-80 participating students, with 150-200 people attending the event overall,  according to Agustin.

“We have opened it up so that it is much more a town-wide science fair,” Agustin said.

The event will be held in the MSS main gym where, along with student participants, Castans will perform a science show demonstrating various reactions and physical laws.

At the end of the event, each student who participated in the science fair will get a ribbon for participation and to celebrate a student’s love for science, without ranking people against their peers, according to Agustin.