Kid Cudi drops album on short notice, can’t reach old hype

Kid Cudi dropped his sixth album, Satellite Flight: Journey to Mother Moon, last Tuesday at midnight.

Cudi followed the lead of other genre artists by only giving fans a brief notice before dropping the album. Cudi first hinted at the release just one day before via Twitter, making his release far more spontaneous than Jay-Z, who aired a TV ad announcing his release of Magna Carta Holy Grail two weeks prior to its drop, or Kanye West, who tweeted hints at the release of Yeezus weeks before its drop.

While the Cleveland-raised rapper still has a strong fan base from the success of his earlier  The Man on the Moon to album series, he has dropped off the mainstream scene in recent years and the quality of Satellite Flight: Journey to Mother Moon makes it highly unlikely to elevate to the level of Kanye’s Yeezus, Jay-Z’s Magna Carta Holy Grail, or even the Man on the Moon duo.

The album, which is 10 tracks long and runs for just over 40 minutes, carries the cosmic, echo-y sound from his 2013 Indicud album a few steps further. Three tracks from the album are solely instrumental, which is not unusual on recent Cudi albums. Still, the abstract sound in Satellite Flight: Journey to Mother Moon will likely only appeal to the hardcore Cudi fans.

With Cudi’s popularity seemingly on the decline, the question remains whether or not he will shoot back to the top after dabbling in a more abstract sound only appealing to hardcore fans such as Kanye West did with his 2008 auto-tune album 808s and Heartbreak. If not, Cudi may be slowly burning out a hot career.