Allie McIlwain nominated for Chicago Tribune Athlete of the Month

Allie McIlwain, senior, is nominated for the Chicago Tribune December Athlete of the Month  due to her performance this season on varsity girls’ volleyball.

“I was really surprised [about the nomination]. I wasn’t really expecting any recognition, especially now that the season is over and with the number of really talented girls who were also on the team,” McIlwain said.

McIlwain started playing volleyball year-round in seventh grade at Sky High, a club volleyball team, and has played all four years at the high school. She sees this nomination as an honor for not just herself, but the whole team.

“We all worked so hard this season and accomplished a lot,” McIlwain said. “I wouldn’t have received the nomination without [the team], and we have all gotten to be like sisters over the course of this season.”

McIlwain would also like to thank her coaches, Matt Aiello and Amanda Rodriguez, for teaching her what she knows, and says she owes part of the nomination to them.

“Volleyball has been a huge part of my life for such a long time, and I have loved the opportunity to be apart of Lake Zurich Volleyball,” McIlwain said. “[I also loved] getting to be a role model for the younger girls, so they can hopefully have as great of an experience as I have.”

To vote for Mcllwain, visit http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/mundelein/athletes/chi-triblocal-readers-athlete-month-mundelein-lake-zurich-20131128,0,460801.htmlstory