Fall Out Boy “Dance, Dance” back to the top

Screaming fans, sold out concerts, and hit music all ended for Fall Out Boy after their album in 2008. Five years later, the band is diving head first back into their music career with a new album on the way and every single concert is sold out.  

Although the band has been has been apart for five years, their fans are still loyal. Their new single “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark” was rated 4.5 stars by customers on iTunes and has around 2,540,000 views on YouTube. While this may not compare to the singles such as “Dance, Dance” released in 2005 that has around 19,730,00 views on YouTube, Fall Out Boy still has a sizeable fan base. 

“When we were kids the only thing that got us through most days was music. It’s why we started Fall Out Boy in the first place,” Fall Out Boy wrote on their website. “This isn’t a reunion because we never broke up. We needed to plug back in and make some music that matters to us. The future of Fall Out Boy starts now. Save rock and roll.”

Pete Wentz, bassist, took the blame for the split of the band in 2010 during a question and answer on his Twitter account with Fall Out Boy fans. 

“I didn’t want you to hang on a string. [At the] same time, if it happens, [I] don’t want to feel like a liar,” Wentz wrote on Twitter. “[The band] might happen without me. Oh, well.”

Since the band has gotten back together, fans have been buying tickets and concerts are sold out months in advance.

“I woke up at ten in the morning, which I never do, and I sat down at my computer with three credit cards ready and I was just refreshing the page and waiting for them to go on sale, and when they did, I was freaking out,” Rachel Mahne, sophomore, said. “But I ended up not getting tickets for the first ten minutes because they sold out that fast and apparently another website bought all the tickets and put them at a really unreasonable price. But since the concert is going to be right around my birthday, my parents let me buy them anyway.”

Although Fall Out Boy has not come out with a new album since 2008, fans still listen to their old albums and songs.

“I am really hoping they play ‘What a Catch Donnie’[from the album Folie à Deux], it’s one of my favorite songs,” Mahne said. “The bassist, [Pete Wentz], was going through a lot at that time and it is really relatable in the sense that he went through something that many teenagers go through.”

The band has been out of the music world since their last album Folie à Deux, then they announced in 2013 on their website that they were working on a new album. 

“I am so excited for the concert because it’s been so long since they have done anything new and I never thought they would get back together,” Mahne said. “There were rumors that they were getting back together all the time and I thought it wasn’t true. And when I knew it was true, I was just jumping up and down in my seat.”  

Although the band is readjusting to life under the spotlight, Fall Out Boy made it clear  they do not want to rush into their new album, but to make sure this album can make a name for itself like their past albums have.

“The music had to be right first, it’s all about the music,” Wentz wrote on his Tumblr page. “There was no other part driving this…when we got together more recently we felt like we had written a few of the most compelling and heartfelt songs Fall Out Boy has ever written.”