Race for highest quality phone never ends

In today’s technology race, companies are constantly trying to come up with the next best thing. When it comes to cellphones, the race is just beginning. Apple’s iPhones along with Google and Windows’ HTC phones, are trying to outshine each other and come out with new features to get people interested.

Both companies are trying to keep up with popular apps such as Spotify, Temple Run, and Instagram. They also are on the more expensive side, but as the leading phone innovators, they offer the newest technology when it comes to touch screens.

Apple’s iPhones have been around longer, and thus have more experience. HTC, however, was quick on its feet once it entered the market, and the two have been competing ever since.

Apple:

iPhones have gone through major changes since they were first released in 2007. Improvements and additions has included bigger screens, more storage, and a new friend named Siri.

“Apple phones are better [than any other phones] when it comes to long term usage. They stay consistent in speed, while other phones slow down,” Kish Patel, sophomore and iPhone user, said.

iPhones use the App Store, which is known for its consistent speed, for downloads and applications. Apple’s App Store contains around 700,000 apps. They offer a better experience because they take advantage of the technologies built into the device, according to Apple.

“The App Store is better than anything Android has to offer because it has more apps available at any time,” Patel said.

Along with the App Store success, Apple has also gained support through its pioneering in touch-screen phone technology. Apple released its new phone, the iPhone 5, in September. According to Apple, it is the biggest thing to happen to Apple since the original iPhone.

“The iPhone 5 is great; it’s faster, thinner, and has a better display [than previous iPhones],” Patel said.

Aside from the fast processing and availability, users may have more difficulty keeping their iPhone from breaking than other phones.

“One thing I would change about Apple phones is how iPhones break so easily when they’re dropped. Other than that, everything’s fine,” Patel said. “Apple should be coming out with new phones every two years.”

HTC:

HTC, although newer than Apple, offers a variety of phones powered by Google or Windows. The phones come in different shapes and sizes, when compared to iPhones. Additionally, HTC phones are well known for their high quality cameras.

“I really like the layout and clarity of the screen [on my HTC phone]. The camera is also a big thing for me,” Mary Erskine, junior, said. “My pictures always turn out completely focused, and in comparison with my iPhone 3GS I used to have, which didn’t even have a flash, it is a million times better.”

HTC phones use either Market or Play Store, depending on how old the phone is. Play Store is powered by Google.

“I don’t use the market very often, only when I first got the phone. I’ve discovered that the more apps my phone has, the slower it goes and the more often it freezes so I just have my basic ones. The most vital one for me is Doubletwist; it is compatible with my itunes library and syncs my music for me,” Erskine said.

Although some users have internal problems, HTC phones are well known for their external success.

“The major problem I had with my iPhone was how fragile the screen was. The second time I dropped it, it shattered, and that was the breaking point for me,” Erskine said. “I heard good things about the durability of the HTC phones. So far so good; I’ve dropped it countless times and my screen looks untouched.”