Spotify: for your musical needs

Spotting music has just gotten easier. Users can create playlists, find artists and songs, and also find music that would fit their taste all in one place: Spotify.

Spotify, a free and downloadable program, has invaded the digital world. It’s popularity has grown most likely due to the fact that the program is easy to use, available on many devices, and offers wide variety of music.

“[Spotify] has the option to let you listen to related artists and music, but also just look up and store music in a playlist. It’s the easiest way to do that,” Eric Breden, junior and Spotify user, said.

The music on Spotify is free thanks to the advertisements between every few songs the user listens to.

“The ads can get pretty annoying, but if you pay for the premium account, it’s much more convenient because there are no ads,” Breden said.

Spotify can be downloaded onto any Windows or Mac system, which includes phones. Spotify’s easy on-the-go app allows users to use it while running, in the car, and any other away-from-computer activity.

“I think [the Spotify app] is worth it. You don’t have to pay for songs, so it’s much more convenient than having to buy songs and putting them onto an iPod,” Breden said.

Additionally, Spotify teamed up with Facebook. Now users can log in using their Facebook account. This way, the songs the user listens to may show up on his or her timeline and in the newsfeed. The user’s friends can discover new music and even find a new favorite band.

Over the summer, Spotify also became available to Android users. It is now available for download via Google Play Store.

Spotify lets users buy music, so that they can add the music onto an MP3 player or burn it onto a disk, unlike listening to a fourth of a song on iTunes and having to pay $1.29 for the whole song.

Aside from iTunes, Spotify also beat Pandora and other music listening sites because they don’t have as much variety and good quality music, according to Breden.

Additionally, Spotify keeps up-to-date, making the program constantly fresh and more convenient. A new addition to Spotify, the Spotify Play Button, allows any user to create a playlist and post it on his/her blog or website for free.

“Today we’re giving every blogger and web editor the ability to light up the internet with music,” said Gustav Söderström, Chief Product Officer of Spotify, on Spotify’s website. “You want to give your fans access to any song, album or playlist of your choosing and in its entirety, while ensuring people stay glued to your site. The Spotify Play Button does all of this for free, while making sure artistsgetpaid for every play.”

Whether it is the computer, Facebook, or on-the-go, Spotify is on the rise and headed for success.