Sound of Music comes to LZHS

The Sound of Music continues to transcend generations and dazzle audiences of all ages, and now residents of Lake Zurich get to see the play acted out.

This year, the spring musical was chosen to be The Sound of Music.

“There are fantastic singers, best we’ve ever had since the whole cast is really good and Maria [played by senior Megan Deppen] is absolutely fantastic,” Nick Rossiter, junior, said. “The play also has lots of tension, so there’s excitement since it’s set during the Nazi regime during World War II.”

Rossiter is playing the role of Captain VonTrapp. The Sound of Music follows the story of the VonTrapp family and their governess, Maria, who live in Austria during World War II and decide they must leave Austria since the Nazis are invading.

The story was originally a play, which was first performed in 1959, but many more people know the film adaptation starring Julie Andrews as Maria and Christopher Plummer as Captain VonTrapp.

“The hardest part for me personally is the character since everyone is so established in this play. Everyone knows who they are and you’re expected to be who they are,” Rossiter said. “In other plays you have some freedom to figure out who you want the character to be, [but in The Sound of Music] if you aren’t that character, then you’ve already kind of dropped the ball for what people expect.”

Rossiter says the storyline stays mostly true to the film, with a few additions.

“There are a couple of songs that are different or rewritten, and I can guarantee that it isn’t the same dialogue, but other than that it stays pretty darn true to the original,” Rossiter said.

The Sound of Music is also going to incorporate younger actors since a few of the children in the VonTrapp family are younger than high school students.

“It’s going to be a really well put together show. I know we have one young man joining us from the middle school and two younger girls who are middle school age,” Rossiter said. “It’s interesting to work with younger kids because I’ve never got to do that before as an actor, and it’s different being on stage with them since they have less experience.”

David Harmon, drama teacher, will be directing the play, Marcel Graham, technical producer, will be handling most of the technical aspects, and Jill Williams is in charge of the costume crew.

“Mr. Harmon’s great. The thing that’s really cool is he picks out what you as an actor wouldn’t realize. He never says yes or no to what you ask him. He really lets you decide,” Rossiter said. “Sometimes you just say a line and don’t know what it means but he asks you ‘What do you think that means?’ and you have to stop and think about it. He makes you wonder what the intention on the line is and then he says, ‘Ok, let’s try it out.'”

The Sound of Music will be performed in the PAC on April 25 through 28.