Talent show raises money for Chron’s and Colitis

This year’s Talent Show highlighted student as well as LZHS alumni displaying their abilities and coming together to help out the Chron’s and Colitis Foundation.

Twenty-one student acts and two alumni acts showed off their talents in hope of winning one of the awards.

This was the first year that alumni were asked to perform at the Talent Show. Chris Bennett, Social Studies teacher and Student Council sponsor, asked Andy Dreyer, 2003, to preform before intermission and Farraday, a pop-rock band with three LZHS alumni, to close the show.

The other acts were students showing off their diverse talents such as singing, dancing, acting, comedy, or playing an instrument.

Four senior judges, Mark Weber, Amie Hansen, Evan Yerger, and Savannah Heager, decided on six awards for the students.

Judge’s Choice was presented to David Cartolano and Michael Wormley for their comedy and music mixture. The duo pretended to be deciding on an act for the show.

Best Musical Performance was given to seniors Dan Kunz, Taylor Dever, and Alex Skowron. Kunz and Skowron played guitar, while Dever played a drum and did a mash-up of songs by Dispatch, Buffalo Springfield, and MGMT.

Most Creative was given to Star Wars: The Prequel Musical which involved several seniors and teachers acting out how Darth Vader became a villain.

Third Place was given to seniors Kelly Johlie, Annika Sundberg, and Casey Dahl. Johlie sang a Bob Dylan song while Sundberg accompanied her on piano and Dahl on cello.

Seniors Megan Deppen, accompanied by Kenni Ther, preformed Deppen’s original song about her time at LZHS. Deppen played guitar and sang while Ther played a drum. Their performance won Second Place.

First Place was awarded to Nick Plewtong, junior, who played the electric violin to Lady Gaga’s song Edge of Glory.

The entire Talent Show was MC’ed by eight seniors, Zach Till, Michelle Carlson, Chris Johlie, Kimmie Volkman, David LaVanne, Joey Bialas, Lauren Extrom, and Janelle Brewer.