Google Plus battles Facebook

MyYearbook to MySpace. MySpace to Facebook. Facebook to Google Plus?

Google Plus (G+), a new social networking site made by Google, will take over Facebook, just as Facebook itself took over MySpace according to Time Magazine.

Google Plus is not yet officially been released to the public, however Facebook is already feeling the heat.

“Most likely [Google Plus] will take over Facebook. Even now, Facebook is getting really old; there’s no point to it. I miss MySpace and how you got to create your own profile which gave you a sense of creativity to shine through a webpage,” Vanessa Remblake, sophomore, said.

Because of Google Plus’ popularity, Facebook is trying to compete with Google Plus, and keep their users interested in the site. For example, Google Plus has video chatting, blocking certain groups from viewing things on one’s profile, and group chats. Sound familiar?

“[Google Plus] won’t take over right away. It would take a while because of how popular Facebook is. It would take a while to convert everybody,” Brent Poynter, junior, said.

At the moment, to get a Google Plus account, one needs to be invited by a person with an existing account, because G+ is still in its testing stages.

“I might want to get a Google Plus account. It sounds interesting and when I checked it out, it looked simple and easy to use,” Poynter said.

Although Facebook and G+ both have the same purpose, they do contain differences. For one, rather than add someone as a friend like on Facebook, on G+ one “follows” a person, like on Tumblr or Twitter, and adds him or her into a circle.  A user creates and names their circles, and can chose what those circles can and can’t see on their profile. If someone adds a user, however, the user does not have to follow the person back.

“I like how you can block a certain group of people from seeing things. The privacy seems a lot better [than Facebook’s],” Remblake said.

Also, G+ does not have any third party apps, such as Farmville. According to Time Magazine, this “makes the whole experience less overwhelming and spammy than Facebook.”

In the past, Google has tried out making other Social Networking sites (Orkut, Jaiku, Dodgeball, Wave, and Buzz), none of which had much success in the US.

“I don’t think [Google Plus] will fail, considering pretty much everyone uses Google for some other source, whether it’s looking up directions, how to spell words, or things to entertain yourself. People want to experience new things, and I know many people are tired of Facebook,” Remblake said.

Facebook’s “thumbs up” button is getting ready to retire; it’s time to make way for the next big thing, Google Plus’ “+1”.