Family for the win: Mertens leaves coaching for his family

Back to Article
Back to Article

Luke Mertens, football coach and English teacher, can often be seen on the second floor instructing his students on Shakespeare or any number of other literary works. With Mertens leaving next year, their new English teacher will have to step into his role as a mentor.

Photo by Kaitlin Geisler

Photo by Kaitlin Geisler

Photo by Kaitlin Geisler

Luke Mertens, football coach, unexpectedly announced he is leaving coaching and teaching after this year is over.

“I’m going to miss the relationships with the kids, for sure. They’re the reason you get into this profession in the first place, and my students and players have been awesome,” Mertens said.

Despite Mertens leaving this year, the team still has to win another season next year.

“Everyone was surprised [about Coach Mertens leaving]. No one saw it coming, it came all at once. We’re all just kinda anxious about what’s going to happen with the new coach and staff this year and how things are going to change,” Luke Mathis, junior football player, said.

But Mertens had personal reasons for leaving the team.

“I have an opportunity that would provide me a lot more flexibility to be around my family because I have sacrificed a lot of family time in my current role,” said Mertens.

While Mertens moves on to greener fields, the football team is still adjusting to the sudden development.

“[There is] a lot of uncertainty [about how the season may turn out next year],” Mathis said, “but I think [we’ll pull through].”

Mertens is leaving at the end of the year to be more involved with a family-owned business, but it doesn’t mean he’s forgetting his time at Lake Zurich.

“I’ll definitely miss Friday nights [because] that’s a pretty special thing, as everyone that’s been a part of it can attest to,” Mertens said. “My identity has always been ‘Coach Mertens,’ so it’s going to be odd not having that piece of my identity right now. That’s definitely going to be an emotional change for me.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Family for the win: Mertens leaves coaching for his family”

1. Jim Henkel on May 15th, 2019 3:57 pm

We all get it…Family comes first. What a stellar coaching career…but more than football you have the admiration of the entire community who all have tremendous respect for you. My family was fortunate enough to watch you coach these very fine athletes of LZ nation. Good luck and enjoy your new adventures! Go first in the world…go forth with your fears!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Family for the win: Mertens leaves coaching for his family

Football

Same number, same family, same football field

Football

Bears dominate Mustangs in quarterfinals

Football

Bears defeat Saxons in 1st round playoff game

Football

Senior Powderpuff 2017: 101 Bears Take the Field

Football

Helping Hand: QB Club assists football players on and off the field

Football

Bears dominate at Lake Forest

Football

Bears defeat Blue Devils in double overtime

Football

Bears defeat Zion-Benton 36-6

Football

Bears Shut out Waukegan

Football

Erbach embraces the day