Athletes of the month

Each head coach of a varsity spring sport was asked to nominate an athlete who they believe to be the “athlete of the month”. These athletes have shown hard work and determination throughout the past month. Each month, a new athlete will be nominated by the coach of the sports currently playing at the time.

Girls’ soccer: Blair Coughenour, junior

Why she was nominated: Blair has had a really good start to the season and has done well at a new position.  She works hard at practice and put time in over the off-season to improve her game.

Q. What is something that motivates you to do better at your sport?

A. “I want to make my team and teammates successful. Being committed to a team, I have to put in my part, and that pushes me to be the best I can be.”

Baseball: Sam Zoibi, junior

Why he was nominated: He is pitcher of the month due to the fact that pitchers only perform in one or two games per week, they get less of a chance to be recognized.

Q. Who is someone you look up to in your sport?

A. “Nolan Ryan because he was one of the greatest pitchers of all time.”

Softball: McKenna Larson, senior

Why she was nominated: McKenna has the highest batting average on the team right now (.667) and has the most RBI’s (9).  McKenna has done some great things for the team at the plate and defensively.

Q. What is something you try to improve on every time you play?

A. “Trying to control my emotions because if you don’t watch out for it, the game can get to you and make you lose control. “

Boys’ track: Jake Stevens, freshman

Why he was nominated: Jake tied the freshmen school record in the Pole Vault at 10 feet. We are looking for Jake to better this and solely have the record by himself very soon.

Q. Why are you passionate about your sport?

A. “It feels like I can get away from everything, all my problems and stresses. I’m also passionate about it because I want to live up to what my dad has accomplished in his high school career and try to keep raising the bar higher and higher to push myself and accomplish my goals.”

Girls’ track: Michaela Kapraun, senior

Why she was nominated: She is a distance runner who performs consistently at every meet. She is always getting better and sets a new personal record.

A. “Nicole Syverson. She is a distance runner captain like me. She loves running and is so committed. She cares so much about her teammates. “

Boys’ volleyball: Christopher Steibel, junior

Why he was nominated: As a junior, Christopher has earned his starting position.  He works hard in practice and is a great person to have on the court.  He is extremely competitive, and he is able to motivate his teammates on the court with that competitive drive.  Christopher is always trying to improve, and that drive translates to the way he practices and competes during a match.

A. “I focus on improving my blocking. It is a crucial skill for playing on the right side because it is my job to block my opponent’s outside.”

Boys’ tennis: Kolton Reitsch and Thomas Petrovic, seniors

Why they were nominated: Together they went 2-1 at the Jacobs Invite with their only loss coming to the eventual champions from Barrington by a score of 4-6, 6-2, 9-11.They started the season right where they left off last year (where they had a 9-3 record together).  They have become stronger players (physically and mentally) in the off-season and have shown great senior leadership thus far.

Kolton Reitsch

A. “Winning because I love winning. I am very competitive and try to grind out every win, even when I am being outplayed. It’s my senior year and I’m striving to leave a winning legacy for LZ.”