Method to the track team’s madness

Long, lean legs swiftly move as their feet push off the track effortlessly. They lap the track once, twice, three times, and even a fourth time, but they continue to look confident and strong.

Some people have the natural ability to run well, but the track team does not want to be just another ordinary team. Sprinters and distance runners have their own techniques to work on during training and competitions to improve their times.

Both types of runners take their training seriously, but they have different perspectives on the best way to run for their events.

The sprinters look to improve every small thing about their form, said Lindsey Moritz, senior and captain of the girls’ track team, because a small change can make a big difference when running a short race.

Even though sprinters like to critique their form, distance runners focus on consistent training, running six to twelve miles a day, to improve their endurance so the one or two mile event seems easy, according to J.B. Hanson, boys’ distance track coach.

Sprinters

The sprinters focus on the form and power behind their strides because they do not have much time to kick into full gear, Moritz said.

In order to get loose and be prepared for meets, the track coaches introduced an effective warm up.

“First, we walk slow with high knees and on the way back we do the same thing, except we kick our leg out,” Moritz said. “Those are A and B walks. Then we do A and B skips, which is the same thing but faster. After that, we do several stretches, such as ankle grabs, to stretch out the groin and do multiple quad stretches. We then do Frankensteins, which is when we pick one leg up, walk three steps, then continue alternating legs. We finally end the warm up by running with long strides. I really think this warms up all of the necessary muscles and prepares us to do our best in practice and meets.”

After their warm up, the sprinters run and work on their form to maximize their results, Moritz said.

“The correct way to run is to have your arms at ninety degrees,” Moritz said. “While you swing them, you should have your fingertips pass your chin and hips and keep that angle. For your legs, your hip flexors should be tight and strong while running.”

Another exercise sprinters do on a daily basis to strengthen hip flexors are murdles, according to Moritz.

“You start on your hands and knees for these series of leg movements,[murdles],” Moritz said. “One is called the fire hydrant. You literally look like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant as you go through the motion. Another is called the scorpion because you bend one leg and kick it back. We also have our leg straight and kick and move them back, forth, and sideways. These really help prevent injury and strengthen the muscles.”

Moritz said all the sprinters train relatively the same, but their pace during the races varies. Usually those who have been on the team and trained longer are able to run faster during meets.

“Last year, [while running the 400 yard], I used to go my hardest the first 100 yards, coast 200 yards, then go full out the last 100 yards again,” Moritz said. “But now my coach and I have decided I will go my hardest for 200 yards to get a good lead and hold it. That’s my pace though. Pace varies from person to person depending on their limits and training.”

Even though all these elements, such as proper warm up, hip flexor exercises, and pacing are important, sprinters also need to focus on their race’s start to improve their time.

“Your start must be strong. When incoming freshmen join track, they immediately learn how to use the blocks to get their best start, because in middle school they usually aren’t as competitive and can improve,” Moritz said. “A sprinter’s start definitely sets up the results because sprinters have little time to get in front.”

Distance Runners

Distance runners do not have to focus on form as much, but need to be consistent with their training, Hanson said.

Before practice and meets, all the runners go through the same warm up, which is running one to two miles.

“The warm up typically takes eight to sixteen minutes,” Hanson said. “They run up to two miles. The purpose is to get their heart rate up, muscles warm, and [body] sweating. Then they go through a series of leg drills. These dynamic stretches put the muscles through the complete range of motion they will go through during the competition. Finally, we end with a series of strides. We start with sprints at fifty percent, then sixty percent, seventy, eighty, and so on the race pace. It is a gradual way to warm up their muscles so they can perform at the highest level they can.”

Hanson believes the warm up is helpful, and if they did not do this warm up, they would not have such good results.

“One thing we have told them is that you have two types of fuel for your body,” Hanson said. “The first one is simple sugars, like glycogen stored in your muscles. The second is fat, which is stored around your muscles. Your body usually uses glycogen first when exercising, but after fifteen minutes, your energy will start coming from fat. If in competition we want our body to use both sources of fuel we need to make sure we get through the first fifteen minutes of the warmup.”

Bobby Klett, senior, said their training is just as important and helpful as their warm ups.

“We do a lot of interval workouts to increase our speed and to help us maintain our speed during longer races,” Klett said. “Our usual practice runs go anywhere from six to twelve miles a day.”

The distance runners may strictly follow their warm ups and training, but they do not spend much time perfecting their form because it does not always improve their performance, Hanson said.

“There is a certain form. But most of the time it is hard to change a person’s form of running, so we don’t put a lot of emphasis on it,” Hanson said. “A lot of athletes tend to become more efficient in their own running style as they run often. Their bodies learn how to run as efficiently as they can. Even if you were to try and correct one part of a runner’s form, you would probably end up messing up another part. But in general, distance runners run tall, strong, and have their chest out to expand their lung capacity.”

Even though distance runners do not find their form as important as sprinters, they must have a hard-working attitude.

“One thing that is crucial for a distance runner is how hard they are willing to work and train,” Hanson said. “There is no magical potion that can make your better. Series of days, months, years of you consistently training will help you improve.”

Klett also believes that distance runners have to focus on regularly training in order to improve more than sprinters.

“The main difference between distance runners and sprinters is the preparation needed to compete,” Klett said. “Most distance runners practice year round, while many sprinters go to other sports. You really have to have a different mindset and concentrate during races in order to compete in events like the two mile.”