Seniors lead Bears to victory in overtime season opener

The girls’ basketball team collected their first victory at the November 13 game against Deerfield, with a 43 to 41 win in overtime.

They knew going into the game that Deerfield would be a hard opponent to beat, Elly Daleske, sophomore, said.

“As our first game, I thought we did alright, but we gave up way too many turnovers,” Daleske said.  “We needed to settle down and keep the ball at times.  We won in the end, but it was a little too close for our liking.  But we were still happy we won our opening game against a good and fast team.”

The Deerfield Warriors took the lead in the game, starting out with a 9-0 lead.  Deerfield remained ahead until the final 40 seconds of regular time, where a serious of fast breaks helped the Bears tie the game at 36 to 36.  The game went into overtime, and after a series of baskets on both ends, the Bears took the lead again with 43 to 41 and 11.7 seconds left on the clock.

Seniors Sara Gazdacka and Sarah Stefaniu, who scored 13 and 12 points respectively, led the game.

Daleske said the team can be successful this season if everyone puts in the effort.

“Since our team is so young, with only three seniors, everyone is going to have to step up and do their best all the time,” Daleske said.  “We have the talent on our team, we just need to learn how to use it to our advantage.”