Lake Zurich pulls off upset against Glenbard West

Lake Zurich topped the Glenbard West Hilltoppers 10-3 and is headed on to the third round of Class 7A playoffs.
Going into the game Glenbard West was seeded first, and Lake Zurich was seeded eighth by the IHSA.
First string quarter back Zach Till, senior, was sidelined for this game due to a foot injury, and Stephen Kuhn, senior quarterback, and John Orlando, senior wide receiver, both played quarterback during the game. The Bears utilized their running game to score and move down the field during drives against a solid GW defense.
LZ’s defense was impressive as well, stopping the Hilltoppers offense from scoring in the red zone and holding them to a field goal.
The LZ touchdown in the first quarter was set up by a long punt return from Orlando and a penalty called on Glenbard West, getting Lake Zurich to the fifteen yard line. LZ then followed through and ran in for the score on the next play.
The end of the game was tense for both teams, with LZ hoping to hold Glenbard to three points, and Glenbard pushing for a touchdown. Orlando, playing quarterback, ran for a big first down that sealed an unlikely victory for Lake Zurich and kept their playoff dreams alive.
Senior Mark Weber, punter, was a major contributor to Lake Zurich’s success with several punts that sent Glenbard West back deep in their own territory to start their drives, giving the defense plenty of leeway to stop them.
The Lake Zurich student section was decked out in white and cheering at full volume for their team.
The Bears go on to play fourth seeded Elk Grove in the Class 7A playoff quarterfinals; date, time and location are to be announced. For more information about the upcoming game as it is released go to http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/StateSeriesInformationResults.aspx?url=/data/fb/7pair.htm and scroll down to quarterfinals game 27

[nggallery id=20]