Bear Facts Weekly Sports Update (8/23/11-9/3/11)

Every week, Bear Facts will be posting updates about teams and their performance.

Golf:

This week, the boys’ and girls’ varsity golf teams were productive.

On Monday, the boys’ varsity went out to the Biltmore Classic. On a par 76, LaRue shot 96, and Hughes shot a 93 along with Noll.  Zuhlke shot an 89, and the leader of the day was Doug Murphy with an 88.

The girls’ golf team went head to head against Mundelein at Countryside and came out on top, 213 to 178, in team scores.

“We’ve been playing good and there has been some good improvement. The season is moving along pretty well!” Savannah Saunders, a member of the girls’ team said.

Tennis:

This week the girls’ varsity tennis team, with a record of 1-3, had their first win against Schaumburg in a 6-1 victory.

“Our team is a very young team, so coach has been putting us into quite a few different lineups, which is different spots for singles and double,” Michelle Carlson, varsity senior, said. “We’re all starting to kind of find our spots, and once we get settled in, I think we’ll definitely be a tough competitor.”

Soccer:

The boys’ varsity soccer team finished the week with one win, one loss, and one tie.  Their current record is now 1-1-3.

The team started off the week with a 3-2 loss to Barrington.  Wednesday, the Bears won 3-1 over New Trier (pictures in photo gallery below).  The boys tied Wheaton Warrenville South with a final score of 2-2 on Thursday.

“I thought we played well [this week],” Matt Montemayor, junior and forward, said.  We made a couple of mental mistakes, but we hung in there, we played hard, and we worked all 80 minutes.  I think we’re gonna have a pretty good season.”

Cross Country:

The boys’ and girls’ varsity cross country teams both had good showings at the Horlick Invitational, their first meet of the season, on Saturday, September 3.
The boys’ team won the meet, with senior Pat Juras finishing first overall with a time of 15:58.8 in the 5,000 meters.

The LZ girls’ team came in tenth in the 4,000 meters. Senior Elizabeth Berton led the team, coming in 21 overall, followed by senior Cassie Houghton at 30th place and junior Meagan Hughes at 47.

There were some major setbacks for the girls’ team, however, as junior Maddie Gelinas collapsed due to dehydration and senior Olivia Murray broke her leg during the race.

[nggallery id=6]