Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend bring The Who to Chicago

English Rock legends Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend carried the spirit of The Who to the Allstate Arena last Thursday and Friday to perform the 1973 album Quadrophenia, along with several of their most famous hits.

Although missing the late John Entwistle and Keith Moon, the band played a powerful show that managed to keep the audience going throughout the three hour show.

Substituting for Moon was Zak Starkey (the son of the Beatles’ Ringo Starr). He provided energy and youthful spirit to the performance. However, Moon was not overlooked. During the performance of “Bell Boy,” footage of previous performances by Moon was played across the stage. Past footage was also played during the many solos intended for Entwistle, which added to the overall nostalgic tone of the show.

The show was well received by the mostly 40-and-over crowd; however, it is impossible to ignore that Townshend and Daltrey are old. Both men are in their 60’s, and their age did show throughout the concert. Their voices were raspy and throaty, and Townshend actually started singing the lyrics to the wrong song at the beginning of the show.

Small things like this did not take away from the overall powerful and emotional experience shared by the audience members who have been waiting for The Who to tour for nearly three years.