Drama will perform new play, Our Town

The Drama Club’s fall play, Our Town, will premiere November 8 to the 10.

Our Town is different than plays in the past because of the pantomime nature. The play has very little set design and minimal props on the stage.

“It will really challenge both the actor’s and the audience’s view of reality. We hope that the play will help stimulate our audience’s imagination,” David Harmon, director of Our Town, said.

The result is a very minimalistic play. Tech club will have to also make adjustments for this new style of play. Tech club will be much smaller because there is no need for a props crew and the lighting crew must make up for a lack of set.

“Since there is no set, we have to use lighting to help create a setting or mood in the play as well,” Cira Galloway, sophomore, said.

Our Town, an award-winning play, takes place in the 1930s. The play follows several average citizens that are living in a town called Grover’s Corner. The play is split into three acts, focusing on daily life, love, death, and the idea of eternity.

“This play is a lot more serious than last year’s; it’s more real.  I think the play has a really strong message at the end,” Conor Jordan, sophomore, who plays Howie Newsome, said.

The play’s overall message fits well with the fall season because of the acceptance with life the end of the play expresses, Harmon said.

“The theme of the play is to cherish life. Our Town is a play that celebrates the simple things in life,” Harmon said.

There are seven main characters in the play, but 21 students will have parts in the production. Rehearsals for the play are for various characters almost every day after school plus Saturday.

“It’s a really big commitment, but it’s totally worth it,” Galloway said. “We’re all really happy to do our jobs.”

The cast and crew are all excited to spend time with one another and ensure a quality performance.

“I think that most of the time everyone focuses more on the performances and getting ready,” Jordan said. “When really it’s about being part of the whole experience.”