Carry on and check out Fun.’s new album

photo used with permission of http://ournameisfun.com

Fun., an alternative rock/indie pop band, proved to be a success with their album, Some Nights. The album has a variety of feels, from slow to electronica to rock, to fit all different kinds of tastes.

The album’s songs focus a lot on what teenagers deal with daily: wanting to do something with their lives and feeling angst and loneliness.

“Carry On” speaks about getting over your problems, and it’s time to move on, “if you’re lost and alone, or sinking like a stone, carry on.” By the middle of the song, the rock feel kicks in, along with Fun.’s signature group chorus to create a song to boost your mood and even to dance to.

If the listener prefers slower music, then “Why Am I The Only One” should be on his or her list of songs to listen to. The song is mellow, with meaningful lyrics, and lead singer, Nathan Ruess’ soothing voice.

“Stars” is much more electronica based than the rest and also much longer. The song feels like the singer’s stream-of-consciousness. By adding humor and the harsh facts of reality, the song suits anyone who feels confused in the world.

Of course, the album also features Fun.’s hit, “We are Young,” which topped the charts for six weeks. It also includes their new hit, “Some Nights,” which has an African feel that most Americans are not used to; however, it has started climbing the charts.

Although overall the album is worthwhile, the band over-used autotune in a few songs (“It Gets Better” and “Stars”). Reuss’ voice fluctuates well and has a unique feel, so the autotune took away from the songs.

Music lovers should not stick to the songs Fun. has on the radio. Some Nights has a great variety of songs waiting for listeners.