Retiree coaches college readiness

Photo by Emma Harper
Carl Krause, college and career counselor stands outside the college and career center, decorated with yearbook pictures from all his years at LZ.

For 33 years, Carl Krause, college and career counselor, has been serving LZHS. He worked as a science teacher, general counselor, and has spent the last 15 years as a college counselor.

“I met my best friends here. I met my wife because I worked here. I’ve been here more than half my life. [… I have had] the chance to work with amazing kids and amazing athletes and amazing peers [who are] going to go out and do great things and have done great things,” Krause said.

Not only does Krause help students decide future career paths and aid in college applications, he is also very involved in the school and has coached girl’s basketball for many years. One of his fellow basketball coaches, Chris Bennett, history teacher, believes Krause has put his all into both his work and his coaching and that he will be missed at LZ.

“He is the kind of person that no matter what he does, he wants to be the best at it,” Bennett said. “[…] He works his tail off to try and be better and try [to] make his kids better. He cares about his job and puts in the extra minutes when he has to.”