Retiree champions sports for all

Photo by Emma Harper
Megan Mowinski, PE teacher, poses with her Integrated PE students on the football field during class. Mowinski created the class and has been the only teacher to run it.

What do Integrated PE, Special Olympics, and the SNAP program all have in common? They were all created and run by Megan Mowinski, PE teacher, who will be retiring at the end of the year and moving to Michigan. She created the integrated PE program in 1998 and has run it since.

“I just felt like it would benefit all students […] and really, truly be able to integrate the students with special needs into a PE class,” Mowinski said.

Along with her deep involvement in the special needs athletic program, Mowinski has made a positive impact on her students and other teachers, alike. Michelle Levin, PE teacher, has worked with Mowinski for 30 years and says Mowinski taught her a lot about holding everyone accountable and ensuring every student gets the same privileges.

“She’s probably one of the kindest, [most] generous, warm hearted, patient people I’ve ever met in my entire teaching career,” Levin said.

Mowinski’s students agree, one of her integrated PE leaders, Grace McConnell, senior, appreciates Mowinski’s kind nature.

“She’s actually really understanding, she actually really cares about us […] she’s very inclusive with everyone,” McConnell said. “She makes sure everyone’s involved.”