LZHS hosts annual District 95 Film Festival

The District Film Festival will be taking place tonight at LZHS. The Festival will show original films from students of all grade levels, and will crown winners for elementary school, middle school, and high school.
Photo by and used with the permission of D95

LZHS will host the annual District 95 Film Festival on February 20th.

Every year, students of all grade levels— from elementary school to high school— submit their original, five-minute films to be shown at the District 95 Film Festival, and win prizes based on technical quality, storytelling, artistic merit, acting, emotional impact, and music/sound.

The Film Festival, which was first suggested by a student over a decade ago, “provides District 95 students the opportunity to express themselves through film,” according to Jean Malek, Executive Director of Communications and overseer of the Film Festival.

This year, four LZHS students have submitted their own films, one of them being Tyler Ulbert, junior, who has competed in the Festival since 7th grade.

“I continue to submit each year, as it’s become tradition [for] me to partake in ‘movie season’ every year,” Ulbert said, “I like to explore my own ideas and see them come together, and see what others create as well.”

Ulbert, who won ‘Best In Show’ at last year’s festival with his claymation film Snakesong, sees filmmaking as a “serious art form.”

“I’m constantly drawn to the allure of movies and how they can make us feel,” Ulbert said, “I do plan to pursue it as a career as well, either in composing the musical scores or writing.”

The Film Festival will take place February 20 at 7:00 p.m. in the PAC.