Gaining a new Buddy through the Buddy Project

Meredith Carrigan, co-president of the buddy project, and Charlie Sims at movie night for the club.

Photo used with permission of Meredith Carrigan

Parul Pari, Staff Writer

If you want to work along with Special Needs Students in a club that partakes in many fun activities, Buddy Project is the club for you.

Buddy Project is a club that works alongside Special Needs Students while doing activities from painting, to yoga, to volunteering, and more,” Meredith Carrigan, senior and co-president of Buddy Project, said. “It’s a smaller group of special needs students, so you are able to get to know those who are part of the club very well, and we also like to venture out and try fun activities like Morkes Chocolate Factory, cooking classes, [and more].”

Carrigan gained an interest in the program after hearing about the program through upperclassmen who were with her in SNAP.

“I joined it to be able to get to know some of the special needs students even better and be able to help them grow not only as LZHS students, but also as a people,” Carrigan said. “My favorite aspect of Buddy Project has to be either getting to know the students better because it’s a smaller-scale group, or all the funny, quirky memories we make during our activities.”

One of these funny moments occured after the club had just hosted a yoga lesson.

“We just had hosted yoga and Andrew (one of the special ed students) almost started to lead the group because he knew every move and our yoga instructor was playing the Beatles and Andrew was able to tell us the name of every song she played and it was so cute,” Carrigan said.

Another leader in the club, Kayli Antonoff, senior and co-president, marks many significant moments in the club with moments of growth with the special needs students.

“A significant moment I’ve had in buddy project is definitely watching the special needs students grow and become more comfortable with people,” Antonoff said. “It is a very laid-back environment and it’s great to see everyone comfortable socializing with each other. We all become very close and form a special bond.”

More people should participate in the Buddy program according to Carrigan because of the opportunity to get to know these unique students.

“I think more people should join Buddy Project because it’s a ton of fun getting to go to all these fun activities, while also making new friends and getting to know the students better. They all have such unique personalities and I could have a conversation with any of the kids for hours,” Carrigan said. “It’s truly such a rewarding program and I’m so grateful to have been apart of it.”