Pippin: “we’ve got magic to do… just for you”

Pippin actors and ensemble members have worked hard to practice dancing and singing for the upcoming shows.

Annette Suk, Bear Facts Contributor

As actors and actresses prance around, singing, tumbling, and dancing their hearts out, the intense but beautiful set looms behind, setting the mood for Pippin, the spring musical, which opened this week.

Pippin explains the story of Pippin, a young prince, and his difficult journey to try to find the right path in life he should pursue. Told by the Leading Player, the ringleader, Pippin undergoes multiple trials and struggles to decide if he should settle into a peaceful life or continue to create magic with the players, the ensemble.

Bringing forth the magic, Tom Skobel, director, chose the musical not only for the mixture of multiple themes in a musical, or for the new experience for the students, but Pippin also connects to his childhood, inspiring him to choose it to perform.

“This was my first introduction to theater that I had as a child and so it means a lot to me [because] part of that experience was back when I was 10, when I first wanted to do theater,” Skobel said, “but it also was a different style that the students hadn’t had in the past 3 years. We’ve done a comedy, and a flashy, upbeat musical. Now this is  more challenging and has a deeper meaning to it.”

Part of the deeper meaning comes from the unique structure of the play. He recommends that everyone needs to see it for themselves and have a taste of a “show within a show” type of musical.

“It’s going to be a different musical that people are not used to. I think the set is going to surprise people, that we’re going to be using the bare scaffolding, instead of using a brightly colored set,” Skobel said. “I think that’s going to be a first visual difference in the musical.”

Skobel directs the musical, but the “magic” concept is showcased by the actors and actresses, especially the players, who explain the story of Pippin. While Kaleigh Heisterkamp, freshman and ensemble member, may not have any lines throughout the show,but  she still loves her role, and enjoys the time she spends establishing her character.

“I am a player and my archetype is an outlaw. A player is basically the ensemble. They also don’t act like the set but they play every other character. They interact with Pippin physically on stage,” Heisterkamp said, “I love my role. I don’t have any lines so I can define my character, myself. We all work together and it’s just like a big collaboration and if one of us is gone, honestly there wouldn’t be a show.”

Vince OBrill, senior and student director, was involved in theater for a long time- a little over six years. While this may be his last show in high school, he is nonetheless excited for the musical he student directed.

“I absolutely love my job. I get to work with not only the cast, but I get to work alongside with crew, and costumes. In my eyes, theater is the gift that keeps on giving. I feel like theater is just a genuine place to express who you truly are,” OBrill said. “I would recommend people to watch this show due to the fact that there is something for everyone for a person to enjoy. Whether you enjoy battle scenes, love scenes, comedic scenes; this show has it all.”

Pippin runs from Wednesday, April 25 to Saturday, April 28. Tickets can be purchased at http://www.lz95.org/pac and are $10 for seniors and students, and $12 for adults.  

Annette Suk, Staff Writer

As a sophomore, Annette is in her second year of journalism and her first year as a staff writer. When she isn’t busy worrying about her viola skills, you can find her laughing loudly with her friends in the hallway. If she isn’t there, you can also locate her slumping around the halls, hungry and stressing over every aspect of her life. She loves spending her money on movies with friends and she loves coffee and TV.  Annette has no clue of what she wants to do in the future but likes to try out different classes and see what makes her interested.