Students can gain opportunities through summer internships

Jawad Alam, sophomore, stands in front of 3D printers at Ela Library. Alam was one of last summer’s interns that the district made available for students.

Photo used with permission of Jawad Alam

Chloe Faris, Co-Spotlight editor

This summer, the district is giving high school students the opportunity for an internship through local businesses and nonprofit organizations. Instead of lounging around the house, students can get the chance to gain new opportunities and relationships, while also getting the chance to earn money.

“These are opportunities for students to get real world experience learning about various opportunities where it is in business, STEM, or manufacturing [and allows students] to get a taste of what it is like and can help decide if that’s something they want to do in the future,” Beth Slaughter, district development coordinator, said.

There are five internship positions available, each with a different business or nonprofit organization. Some positions include working with Sylvan or Joanie’s Closet, a nonprofit organization which supports district families, Slaughter said.

“We have an internship with HM Manufacturing for example, which is a community partnership that we had created to give a taste of a lot of areas to a company and a heavy emphasis on social media. The one with the Chamber is event planning and working with the Chamber with the Taste of the Towns event,” Slaughter said. “We are trying to get a variety of opportunities because we know people have different interests. We have developed relationships with these businesses and nonprofit so we feel good about the students going there to learn and gain experience.”

Last summer Jawad Alam, sophomore, received the internship position as an Ela Library Makerspace, which deals heavily on technology, he said.

“I already had a bit of prior knowledge by using the actual devices [and] equipment in person, [but] it added to my overall understanding,” Alam said. “[Also] experience in communication and my understanding of how nonprofit organizations help the community was strengthened.”

Some of the internship options pay an hourly rate and others pay an honorarium upon completion of the internship, Slaughter said. Alam’s internship required 50 hours of work, and upon completion he received $500.

“The 50 hours that you work for introduces you to an actual working environment and I think that prepares you for the future. Also, meeting new people that you might teach or help is enjoyable because everyone has a different personality and a slightly different need,” Alam said. “The way they will interact with you can aid in your ability to interact with others in the future, as well as inform you of the adjustments you need to make in order to help people efficiently.”

The application process consists of submitting a cover letter and resume which should be emailed to [email protected] by April 5.

Chloe Faris, Magazine Editor-in-Chief

Along with being Editor-in-Chief of the Bear Facts magazine, Chloe is involved with Yearbook, Student Leadership, Student Council, SNAP, and Interact. She is also an Integrated PE leader. In Chloe’s free time she loves to spend time with her friends and family.