Student Council holds auction wall

Student Council’s annual event to raise money for charity bash

Jillian Castellani, sophomore, checks out items available to bid on at the auction wall. Student Council is running the auction wall to raise money for charity bash.

Valerie Multra, sports editor

Charity bash tradition raising money for Elyssa’s Mission while selling off prizes to the community through the auction wall event occurring this week.

The auction wall is a long time annual event to fundraise money for Charity Bash, sponsored by Student Council. The auction wall is displayed in the cafeteria and will be closed after school on Friday, December 15.

“I think it’s something important because, for one, it’s a fun way for the items to be displayed, so I think it’s awesome that the community gets involved in it,” Justina Doll, teacher and auction wall sponsor, said. “All these companies around Lake Zurich, whether it be small stores or large chains, are willing to give some kind of contribution in order for us to bid whatever amount on them to raise money for a greater cause.”

Once the bidding for these items is complete on Friday, Student Council is then responsible for getting all the items out to the highest bidder, according to Doll. The process for organizing the auction has been monitoring everything that comes in and then moving forward with the bidding now that they have everything out and on display.

“People come bid at the auction for several different things to raise money for Elyssa’s mission, so basically they come up to the wall and write their name down around each item and [guess] what amount of money will be the highest bid,” Ashley Davison, sophomore auction wall co-chair, said.

There’s a lot of items available for bid like Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts- related items, according to Davison, as well as other prizes donated by the Lake Zurich community. Doll says that seeing that people want to give in order to raise money for the cause is incredible.

“I think it’s important because the auction wall is showing people really easy ways to give money to a charity and it’s also an incentive to donate,” Davison said. “This really helps people get more involved, [and] I feel they have an incentive to want to go in it and try to win that prize more.”

Everybody is really excited about the auction wall and wants to participate, according to Davison. They ask how they can donate to the auction wall prizes or promotions by offering up items or services student council can use to auction off.

“The auction wall is something that’s a big hit at this school and has been going on for awhile,” Doll said. “Teachers and students have been telling me about how they’re excited for it to be happening again this year.”

Valerie Multra, Sports Editor

Valerie is a sophomore and Sports Editor of Bear Facts Student Media. She is involved in cross country, track and field, theater, sophomore class board, Interact, and SNAP. Valerie aspires to graduate from Columbia University.