Varsity Cheerleading competes at Sectional to qualify for State

The+varsity+cheerleading+team+will+compete+at+home+on+Saturday%2C+January+30+in+hopes+of+a+State+qualification.+Photo+credits+to+Kaiden+Mortimer%2C+sophomore.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The varsity cheerleading team will compete at home on Saturday, January 30 in hopes of a State qualification. Photo credits to Kaiden Mortimer, sophomore.

Jemma Kim, editor in chief

Cheerleading will host and compete at Sectionals this Saturday, January 30 for a chance at State. Fans can check their Twitter profile for updates if they can not make it to the school on Saturday.

“Being comfortable in the environment we are competing in helps some, but often the adrenaline of being in a new gym helps us perform,” Jessie Black, senior cheerleader, said. “A huge advantage that I am looking forward to, though, is hopefully a big crowd since it’s so close. Hopefully we can get a student section since we are at home, we feed off of the audience, so the more the merrier.”

No matter what place the team will end up in, Black and the other girls are happy and proud of this cheerleading season. However, the team has not placed first yet this season, according to Black. But she and the team are confident heading into the Sectional and she says she sees the losses as an opportunity to improve with every performance.

“Although we haven’t gotten first place yet, we have been happy with all our performances as they are all learning experiences,” Black said.  “We use the losses as motivation to get better every weekend. We’re pushing our skills to the absolute limit so they are perfected for State. All these early competitions are used to receive feedback from judges to get used where we need to be in February (State).”

Competing on their home gym gives the Bears the upper hand in Sectionals, according to Black.

“I am so happy to have gotten to know every girl on this team,” Black said. “I know that whether first or last place we gave it our all and had fun while doing it.

Jemma Kim, Sports Editor

Last year, Jemma was the Bear Facts Student Media Editor-In-Chief and is now the Sports Editor. She loves getting involved within the school as she is...