Honors Chemistry classes need to retake test, pictures taken

Pictures of a recent Honors Chemistry test were taken by a student and sent around by text message the school Friday, May 2 before the test was handed out to other Honors classes later in the day.

As a result of the incident, all Honors classes will now have to retake a new version of the unit test tomorrow.

“Personally, I’m kind of mad about retaking it because they are taking the second score for sure,” Nina Skowyra, sophomore in Honor Chemistry, said,  “so if you do better on the first one and worse on the second, you get the worse score, even though it isn’t your fault.”

Although the cheating incident only took place in one class, because the pictures were shared with students outside of that class period, all students will retest.

“I am so angry,” Laura Rolfes, junior in Honors Chemistry, said. “I studied all week for this test, and I have to retake and study for the test again. I was happy with my grade, and the guy who cheated wasn’t even in my class.”

The identity of the student charged with cheating has not been released publicly, nor have teachers commented on the incident. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prevents school officials from commenting on individual students or discipline.