Child development classes visit fetal exhibit

The Child Development I and II classes will be visiting the Museum of Science and Industry today, April 28.

The students will be attending an exhibit at the museum featuring prenatal development, a subject studied in the Child Development classes.

“There’s a whole exhibit there with unborn fetuses, and it shows almost all of the stages of pregnancy,” Julia Arce, junior attending the trip, said.

The exhibit features real human embryos and fetuses ranging from 4 weeks to 38 weeks. The fetuses on display were collected during the Great Depression and are meant to display growth and development throughout a pregnancy, according to the Museum of Science and Industry’s website.

Visiting the exhibit corresponds to the curriculum taught in the Child Development I and II classes.

“In Child Development I, you learn about things such as birth control, pregnancy, and the stages of growth and development in a person,” Arce said. “Once you get to Child Development II, you get to interact with toddlers and watch how they develop over the course of a year.”

The classes have attended the field trip in past years, and this year 40 students will be attending.