GSA celebrates Day of Silence tomorrow

Tomorrow students will be able to take a vow of silence to represent the silence LGBT people and their allies face every day.

Day of Silence is one of the largest student-led actions in the country and the purpose is to silently and peacefully protest anti-lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender bullying, harassment, and name calling.

“This day demonstrates how many people are silent due to bullying, and hopefully our choice to be silent will impact others,” Karen Lai, participant in Day of Silence, said. “We represent those who do not feel comfortable and feel like they can’t express themselves.”

This year, the participants will have speaking cards to let teachers and other students know why they are silent, Lai said.

“Two years ago we had stickers, but last year and this year we will have speaking cards,” Lai said. “I, and several others, duct taped our mouths closed freshman and sophomore year to get people talking about it. The security guards said to take it off since it covers our face. But this year I will try to do it again.”

After the silent school day, the Gay Straight Alliance Club will host a dance, the Night of Noise. GSA members from other schools can come to the dance to celebrate.

“The Night of Noise is a chance to break the silence. There will be a DJ, drinks, and a drag race,” Lai said. “The drag race is fun but important because it’s a venue for people to express themselves and they can dress the way they want to.”