Lake Zurich high school and middle school students win awards at art show

Artwork from LZHS and Middle School North students was recognized in the Scholastic Art Awards last Friday, March 7.

Each of the students from MSN and LZHS who participated and won an award currently have their artwork displayed in the lobby of the PAC at the high school. Each piece is labelled with their name and the award they won. Each of the students’ artwork presented at the Scholastic Art Awards has a possibility of winning one to three awards: the Gold-Key, Silver-Key, and/or Honorable Mention award.

“My piece was called Bridge in the Snow,” junior Hannah Grosspietsch, artwork award winner, said. “I submitted that piece because I thought it was one of my more creative ones and my teacher said that if you got an A on something, then you should submit it, so I did.”

Many students who received A’s on their artwork submitted it to the art awards, but only some received the highest award.

“I got an email a few months later that said I got something called a ‘Gold-Key,” Grosspietsch said. “[The Gold-Key] means it was one of the best 250 pieces or so submitted from the midwest out of over 3,100.”

Students who have received a Gold-Key award get the chance to move on to the national-level competition. This competition gives each student the opportunity to compete against other students for over $20,000,000 in scholarship funds.

Other than Grosspietsch, three other LZHS students received a Gold-Key award, as well. These students are Stephanie Nikolas, senior; Kasia Konsor, junior; and Nicole Schemansky, freshman.

“I have three Gold-Keys, one Silver-Key, and one Honorable Mention,” Konsor said. “The names of my Gold-Keys were Patience, Twigs, and The Birth and Death. The Birth and Death was recognized for the American Visions Awards, which is through the Scholastic Art Awards.”

For more information about submitting artwork such as poetry and other forms of writing, you can visit artandwriting.org.