LZHS participates in Music in Our Schools Month

This year, LZHS is participating for the first time in Music in Our Schools Month, which is an event that takes place every March to promote music education and student musicians in schools across the nation.

“It’s a nationwide initiative, bringing together music educators and students for performances to educate and advocate about school music programs as well as the benefits of an integrated, comprehensive music plan for all students,” Sheri Conover, Tri-M Chapter Advisor and Assistant Band Director, said.

The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) created the event, and LZHS’s Tri-M National Music Honor Society helps run the event here. Student musicians will be performing in different places throughout the school for about 45 minutes during each Late Start Monday in March. According to Conover, Tri-M members are choosing performers for the next two Late Starts Mondays, and some possible musicians include Bare Voices and solo artists.

“The plan for these performances is for them to be short little snippets that showcase a variety of styles and student musicians,” Conover said. “We tried to have them strategically spread out so that they wouldn’t compete with each other sound-wise, but could easily move around, as we planned for them to rotate every 10-15 minutes.”

NAfME created the event for a two day celebration in New York, then it spread to an entire month throughout the country in 1985, and has now evolved into a worldwide series of events, according to Conover. She also adds that it still has a positive impact on schools.

“Our national association is helping music teachers to be advocates for highly-qualified music teachers to be in all of the schools and to keep music and fine arts in the core curriculum,” Conover said. “We are happy to have the opportunity to showcase the amazing talent we have in this school.”