Charity Bash kicks off with assembly today

The annual Charity Bash Kick-off Assembly to honor Special Olympics Illinois will occur today, February 13 from 12:54pm to 1:47pm.

Bailey Kuhn, senior, is a three-year Student Council member and is a co-chair for the Charity Bash assembly along with Kalyn Kunschke, junior, and Marina Gibson, senior. Kuhn shared a preview of the upcoming assembly with Bear Facts.

“We have three speakers. One is Ali Thompson, sister of Dylan Thompson who is a Special Olympics athlete. Another is a representative from Special Olympics, and we hope to have a past Special Olympic athlete come speak as well,” Kuhn said.

According to Kuhn, Student Council wants to solve the past problem of having an unclear and hard to hear video in this assembly. Her biggest worry is that there will be technological difficulties, but technology was not the biggest difficulty in preparing the assembly.

“The biggest difficulty in preparing the assembly was figuring out the best way to present the information we needed to,” Kuhn said. “We had to decide whether the information would be most clearly communicated through, for example, a speaker, video, or powerpoint.”

Presenting the information is important because Kuhn said the main purpose of the assembly is to educate people on the charity they will be donating to. Kuhn is excited about getting support and encouragement for Special Olympics.

“I hope students can learn more about the organization and its effect on the athletes and their families,” Kuhn said. “I hope to inspire them to not only participate in Charity Bash events, but also to continue to volunteer and support the Special Olympics after Charity Bash is over.”