Band to perform in Madrid Parade

Band members will be traveling to Madrid, Spain because of an invitation to perform and march in the world famous Cabalgata de Reyes parade.

Around 115 people including students, parent chaperones, and band director Josh Thompson will be attending the trip from December 30 to January 6. Performance in the parade is by invitation only, and after expressing interest in performing, the band was chosen as one of two American high school bands to perform this year.

“[The band] has been invited to play in London several times in past years, and the same people that run that program are running the Cabalgata de Reyes parade this year. They really want to keep the Spanish roots of the parade, so we were honored when we were invited to perform,” Thompson said.

The trip costs around $3,100 per student and was offered to all band students. The 87 students attending must pay full price, while parent chaperones received a small discount.

“We know it’s a lot of money, and we know that people are still hurting economically. I’m excited we have the number of kids going that we do because [it’s a good turnout,]” Thompson said.

While marching in the parade, students will be performing the song ‘Mi Burrito Sabanero,’ an original Spanish song that Thompson has chosen for the band to play. Thompson arranged the music so that each instrument has its own part and although not all students are attending the trip, all students were given the music and are expected to be able to play it.

“I’ve been practicing a lot on my clarinet, since I’ll be marching with that [and not my primary instrument] when we perform in the parade. I’ve listened to the song several times, and it really helps to memorize the piece, which we all have to do,” Claire Van Der Bosch, junior, said.

Thompson had chosen the song based on the first time he heard it, which was in the Cabalgata de Reyes parade.

“I heard ‘Mi Burrito Sabanero’ when I first attended the parade in Spain,” Thompson said. “I looked around and saw all of the little kids in the street singing along, and I knew that was the song I would want to perform.”

While on the trip, besides performing in the parade, band members will also get to sightsee, shop in local stores, eat in authentic restaurants, and tour places including Toledo, the Palacio Real, and Valley of the Fallen.

“I’m most looking forward to seeing the kids’ reactions when they get off of the plane,” Thompson said, “watching them realize how culturally different it is and how big the world actually is.”

In addition to Thompson, Van Der Bosch is excited for visiting Madrid.

“The fact that it’s one of the most important parades [in the world] and millions of people will be watching us sets me off a little,” Van Der Bosch said, “but I think I’m most excited to explore the city. I’ve heard it’s gorgeous, and I’m looking forward to seeing it with my own eyes.”