Student to host Christmas party for homeless children

A LZHS student and her family will be running a Christmas party that will donate gifts to homeless children this holiday season.

Danielle Selvais, junior, and her father are organizing the party for children that live at the Cornerstone Community Outreach Homeless Shelter, which is based in Chicago.

“My dad and I are the coordinators for the entire event. We ask volunteers for help, and we get a lot of donations from several churches and other companies. This year, we need to make sure we have enough money to cover the gifts and costs of the party, so I’ve been asking students to donate too,” Selvais said.

The event includes making gingerbread houses, presents from Santa, games, face painting, and food.

To help raise money to cover the event, Selvais and her father have set up a website that offers various donation options. As of print time, nine donors have donated $425, and their goal is to raise a total of $1,000.

The Christmas party will be on December 14, so donations will be collected until December 12. Donations of $15 will cover the price of one gift per child.

“My favorite part is seeing the kids get presents from Santa because they don’t get presents often,” Selvais said, “and it’s [rewarding] to see how excited they are when they open a present that they really wanted.”

For more information about the event or to make a donation, visit www.gofundme.com/homelesschristmasparty.