Special Olympics to be supported in Charity Bash 2014

Student council voted that Special Olympics is the charity for Charity Bash at LZHS this school year.

Charity Bash will be held in the spring and will help raise money to support the Special Olympics. The other nominated charities were March of dimes and Fragile X. Voting took place in the PAC on Thursday where leaders from 20 to 25 clubs ranked each of the charities on a ballot; one being the best and three being the worst, according to Claire Donahue, senior.

“Anyone can nominate a charity,” Donahue said. “They will write a little paragraph on why they think this charity will be good for Charity Bash, and it’s usually because they’ve had a connection to this charity. Then, they just would give it to the student council members [to look over].”

After all the nominations are turned in by students, faculty members, or members of the community, student council narrows down the options to two or three nominees. Student council members then give speeches in the case of each charity. After all of this is completed then the club leaders come together to make a decision.

Last year’s Charity Bash was the Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Chicago, and the school raised a total of $30,037, according to lz95.org. This put the grand total of money raised for multiple charities over the years at $343,181. This year the school wants to raise even more money than the previous year and adding to the grand total of money donated to Charity Bash.