Graduate is a finalist in Lay’s new flavor contest

Lay’s Potato Chips has chosen 2009 graduate and Illinois State University junior Tyler Raineri’s flavor as one of three finalists in a nationwide competition for a new potato chip flavor.

Raineri’s creation, Sriracha, a Thai hot sauce flavor, is competing against two other flavors: Cheesy Garlic Bread and Chicken and Waffles. When Lay’s announced the competition more than three months ago around 3.8 million people entered flavors to the contest.

The three final flavors were announced on February 12 and released in stores later that week. The chips will be in stores until May 4, the last day of voting. Voting for the chips takes place on Facebook, Twitter, and by texting 244-77.

The finalists were contacted about three months ago, but signed a contract to keep it confidential, according to Raineri.

“It was crazy. I thought it was fraud at first because how many emails do you get saying you’ve won something? When I got the call I was so excited. I was flown to the Lay’s Texas headquarters and got to meet everyone who helped make my chips. I got to talk to them about all the hard work they put into to making my flavor a reality. It was really cool,” Raineri said. “Another part of the process was that I got to film commercials and do photo shoots with Eva Longoria and Michael Symon from Iron Chef. It’s really been an amazing experience.”

When in New York for the reveal of the flavors, Raineri also was invited to be on Good Morning America and rang the bell at the New York Stock Exchange with the other finalists.

The winner of the contest will receive $1 million, and also, based on the sale of their chips flavor, one percent of all the profits. The winning flavor will be in stores the rest of the year, and depending on sales, years to come. The other finalists will receive $50,000 each.

Raineri’s flavor was chosen as a finalist after filling out a Lay’s application on Facebook.  The application appeared on his news feed after some of his friends had created their own flavors.

“It was a simple three step application that asked you to name the flavor you created, the ingredients, and your inspiration for the flavor. It really only took about three minutes to fill it out,” Raineri said. “I created three different flavors, and luckily out of the 3.8 million ideas that were entered, they chose mine.”

As part of entry into the competition, Raineri was told to explain the inspiration behind his flavor idea in 160 characters or less in the Facebook application.

“I got the inspiration to use Sriracha for my flavor from my grandmother who makes homemade chips and we always dip them in Sriracha. The flavor is also super popular where I go to school at Illinois State University. I also just happened to be eating some Sriracha dipped chips when I entered the contest,” Raineri said.

Sriracha is a very unique flavor that can be described as a hot chili sauce. The Sriracha sauce is thicker and non-oil-based compared to tabasco sauce; it also is hotter and more flavorful, according to Raineri.

“I’ve always liked spicy flavors, and I actually use Sriracha daily on all types of foods, so the Sriracha chips basically taste like a BBQ chip but with a little bit more of a kick for me,” Chris Orabutt, senior, said. “I have tried all three flavors in the contest, and Sriracha is definitely the best. In my opinion, the Chicken and Waffles flavor just tastes like syrup and the Cheesy Garlic Bread chips are just disgusting.”

According to a flavor map on the Lay’s Facebook page, Sriracha has gained the most support in Illinois, Minnesota, California, Texas, and Florida.

“The response to my flavor from people I know has been really positive, but the online feedback is really harsh on all of [the flavors],” Raineri said. “It’s important to get people to vote for Sriracha because that’s how Lay’s will determine who wins. It doesn’t matter how many bags are actually sold in stores.”

Raineri is confident in his flavor and hopes that his chips gain more support as the contest continues, according to Raineri.

“The [Sriracha chips] are amazing! I haven’t had a chance to vote for them yet, but I definitely will soon. I even took a bag the other day from my friend in class because they are that good,” Brian Hacker, junior, said.

In addition to just trying the chips, many students have gone online to vote or texted for their favorite flavors.

“The main reason [that it’s important to vote] is because the chips taste delicious,” Orabutt said. “It’s also important because this flavor was chosen as one of three out of the three million other entries and it’s always good to get Lake Zurich on the map for something cool like this.”