New procedure for school drills to be used on Friday

The administration established a new procedure for emergency drills that will take place this Friday, October 12, after first period.

“We’re trying to combine all of our drills into one day as opposed to spreading them out over three days. One of the things we’ve heard from teachers is that their classes are constantly getting interrupted. What I wanted to try to do was, instead of interrupting three classes three different times, interrupt really no classes, one time,” Rubenstein said.

The first drill will be a fire drill, followed by a lockdown drill, and finally a severe weather drill. The normal class schedule will be shortened due to the time the drills will take. Ryan Rubenstein, assistant principal for student activities and facilities, is planning on having 40 minute periods with five minute passing periods in between after the drills take place.

Rubenstein hopes to keep the classes the same length as the late start schedule, starting with second period. However, Rubenstein said that this is a test and might not work.

“This is just something we’re going to try out and see whether or not it works. If it doesn’t work, then we’ll go back to the other way. I think this is a good way to avoid multiple classroom discussions and just do [the drills] at one time and be done with it,” Rubenstein said.

In addition to these three drills, LZHS still has to run a bus evacuation drill and two unplanned fire drills later in the year.