National Conventions come to a close

National Conventions come to a close

In the wake of the recent Republican Convention, The National Democratic Convention of 2012 has come to a close. Taking place in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Democratic convention plays a major role in determining the results of the next presidential election.

While the main attraction of the convention was renominating President Obama for candidacy, many other events took place. Speakers such as former president Bill Clinton, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanual, and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi gathered to show their support for their president and their country.

August’s Republican Convention headlined with nominating Mitt Romney, the 70th Governor of Massachusetts, as the Republican presidential candidate.

Politicians weren’t the only ones speaking. Ordinary citizens attended free caucuses, council meetings, and interfaith prayer services at the Democratic Convention. Caucuses were held for different races such as Hispanics and Native Americans. Other caucuses were held for rights groups, such as the women’s, LGBT, and disability caucus.

Citizens also made their voices heard at the Republican Convention. The Convention released three videos titled “These Hands.” Each video represented a different state (including Colorado, Nevada, and Ohio) and what it takes to build up a small business. The videos focused on the amount of work American citizens put into building and running a business.

“[The convention] isn’t about political ritual or simply renominating the president, it’s about Americans coming together,” the Democratic National Convention Committee said on the official convention website. “Success depends on involvement at the grassroots, engaging the American spirit and enlisting people who want to put their shoulder to the wheel and change the country for the better.”

Both the Democratic and Republican conventions are essentially preparation for Election Day on Tuesday, November 6, 2012, when the citizens of the USA will vote to choose their leader. If you are 18 or older, visit http://www.elections.il.gov/votinginformation/register.aspx for information on how to register to vote and how to find polling places.