LZHS Wind Ensemble goes to Superstate

The LZHS Wind Ensemble traveled down to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign to participate in the 2012 Superstate Concert Band festival. The group was one of 12 selected bands in their class size.

The Superstate festival selects 12 groups every year out of the top ensembles in the state. Those wishing to participate must fill out an application and send in two recordings to the judges. Judges choose the most qualified groups to participate based on their sound and expertise as a band.

Selected ensembles performed at the University of Illinois’ Krannert Hall in front of judges, parents, university students, and any other participating ensembles that chose to watch. Wind Ensemble students said they appreciated the opportunity to play in the professional setting.

“It was utterly sublime,” Sean Delanty, senior and member of Wind Ensemble, said. “Krannert Hall is a wonderful, exhilarating place to play beautifully composed music with some of my closest friends.”

The Wind Ensemble performed “Give Us This Day” by David Maslanka, a roughly 16 minute piece based on a hymn. The last time the group made Superstate was two years ago.