Spanish teacher sponsors rummage sale

Two years ago, Leah Enright, Spanish teacher, and the World Language department sponsored a rummage sale event for Charity Bash. At the time, it was a success and raised more than $700. This year, in order for the sale to happen again, Enright needs volunteers and storage space for the event.

“The next year we didn’t get anyone to volunteer,” Enright said. “We had teachers, but I didn’t involve enough students in the event, which we really needed.”

Enright has learned her lesson from last year’s event and is hoping this year turns out better.

“This year I talked to Mr. Rubenstein, who said he thought it was a good idea but that storage would be an issue. So he said to try it,” Enright said. “If we had enough people, it would be a lot easier. It would be great for us to find a lot of student help and storage space.”

Enright hopes to find enough people to help and storage space so the sale can actually take place.

“I envision the sale like the scene from the movie Clueless. Different places for different types of thing, just very organized,” Enright said. “Obviously storage is our main concern, and as of right now, it doesn’t look like the sale can happen, simply because I have not gotten a lot of responses, except from the foreign language clubs. But we would need to arrange storage space, and have students in a rotation before and after school to collect the items from parents or other people who just want to donate things they don’t use anymore. We definitely need to find space, but it would be ideal if we had an off-campus location, like a parent’s house, and we could just pick up all the stuff and bring it to school the night before to get everything organized.”

Enright remembers the first rummage sale fondly and is hoping to recreate its success.

“I remember one time, from the rummage sale, a little boy came in. He was probably eight years old, he must have rode his bike over to the school or something and he found these pretty drinking glasses,” Enright said. “He asked how much each glass was, and they were very nice glasses, so I was a little puzzled, and I asked him how many he wanted to buy. He said, ‘Well, it’s my mom’s birthday and I wanted to buy them for her.’ So I asked him how much he thought each one should cost—there were probably 12 in the box. He said, ‘Well I only have three dollars…’ so I told him it was his lucky day because they were only three dollars. We packed them up for him; he was so excited and kept saying how much his mother would love them. It was adorable. I remember that so well; it really just stuck in my mind. I have no idea how he got those glasses home, though.”

If you or anyone you know is interested in helping with the rummage sale or have a place to store the items, please contact Leah Enright at [email protected]. Enright says the funds from the sale could really go to any charity the group chooses, or could even be split up between volunteers. As of now the sale needs much more help if it is going to take place, so the more people interested, the better.