Drinking rates high in Midwest

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) published study results in January which show binge drinking to be the highest in Midwest states, especially Illinois and Wisconsin.

The study shows that binge drinking, consuming five or more drinks for men and four or more for women on one occasion, continues to be a problem that impacts many Americans and contributes to many associated health concerns, according to the study.

Illinois has an adult binge drinking rates hovering around 20 percent or one out of every five people. In Wisconsin, 21.6 percent or drinkers are binge drinkers, along with a heavy drinker rate of 6.2 percent, and a teenager’s parents’ habits can influence his or her habits.

“Kids are often affected by their parents,” Barbara Belke, LZHS drug and alcohol counselor, said. “If a parent drinks a lot, it is more likely for the children to develop similar habits. This is also true for some of their better drinking habits.”

Another study reported by time shows that a student’s drinking habits, on average, correlate directly with his or her parents’ drinking habits.

“Many kids with alcohol problems see their parents drink or drink with their parents, so it makes sense that they gain many of their habits from their parents,” Belke said.

On average, 21 percent of kids receive alcohol from their parents or guardians, and 29.6 percent of underage drinkers reported that their last exposure to alcohol occurred in their own homes, according the SADD.org