Community opposes land development

Hawthorn Woods village trustees voted 6-0 against the proposed plan to build a strip mall shopping center on the corner of Route 12 and Old McHenry Road. 

“When shopping centers are built, there are a lot of secondary effects that people don’t always take into account,” Keith Hunt, Hawthorn Woods resident and former mayor, said. “Look at all the closed businesses at Deer Park and along Route 12. When more stores open, other places lose business, families lose their jobs, nobody quantifies that as part of their decision.”

In mid-January, after receiving notice from Lake County Regional Planning Commission that there was an application requesting a zoning change, the Village of Hawthorn Woods held a meeting to discuss the issue.

Hawthorn Woods village board trustees decided to contend the mall plan from Robert and Constance Dimucci. The trustees feel the plan is in direct conflict of a 1998-1999 property settlement between North Barrington and Hawthorn Woods communities which resulted in the decision to use the property for commercial, light office, and residential use.

“We have received many calls, emails, and correspondence in support of the Village of Hawthorn Woods action,” Joseph Mancino, Hawthorn Woods mayor, said.

Mancino promised spectators of the meeting that the village would take legal action when necessary. He assured citizens that the village has already hired a special legal counsel and an expert in civic planning to help their case.

“In this economy, I think the positives to build a shopping are very few. People need to take a look at the amount of traffic a mall could bring, potential crime it would bring to the area, other stores lose business,” Hunt said.

On February 6, the Lake County Regional Planning Commission attempted to hold a public meeting at Ela Library to consider a zoning change, but the meeting was postponed due to space limitations that would not allow all spectators to be present during the meeting.

“Our strategy remains as before, to object to the process, the lack of plan, and the disregard for local municipal authority and participation. The Village was well represented at the meeting with Village Board, staff members, and our professional consultants being present and we will be well prepared to attend all future meetings,” Mancino said.            

Hawthorn Woods residents have also resorted to other methods to fight the mall development. Residents created a Facebook page that opposes the development, and they plan to use other social media websites to spread awareness of the issue.

In addition to Hawthorn Woods, Barrington and Tower Lakes communities are also opposed to the plan, according to a February Daily Herald article.