Proffitt named head football coach

Last Wednesday, Lake Zurich announced their new head football coach for the 2012 season. David Proffitt will replace the outgoing Bryan Stortz as head coach.

Proffitt has been the Defensive coordinator for the Bears since 2006, and has over twenty five years of coaching experience, eleven of which were spent as head coach of Marian Central Catholic High School.  

“I don’t even look at it as a transition. We’re just going to keep doing what we’re doing,” Proffitt said in an interview with the Lake Zurich Patch. “The program still is the players.”

Since Proffitt joined the Bears, they have been 7A State Champions, runner up twice, and semifinalists twice as well.

“Dave Proffitt is one of the single most important reasons for our success in the past six years,” Bryan Stortz, ex- head coach of Lake Zurich, said. “[He] has had significant input and worked hard at helping the program improve over the years.”

Stortz took an offer to move to be head coach of the Rock Island High School football team, which initiated the search for a new coach.

“Dave Proffitt is one of the greatest individuals I have ever been associated with,” Stortz said. “I know that because he cares about the kids they’ll play hard for him.”